Office of the President
The Woods - A Year in Review
In reflecting on this past year, our 175th, it was a year for celebration as we…
- Launched our 175th year and watched #FlatSMTG travel the world,
- Moved up in the US News & World Report Rankings two positions,
- Began our first ever Pomeroy Wellness initiative,
- Opened the Jeanne Knoerle Sports and Recreation Center,
- Began recruitment for a new volleyball team,
- Implemented the Wabash Valley Leadership Institute,
- Offered our first online RN to BSN program,
- Shared in the 175th Celebration of a Week of Service with alums throughout the nation and in several nations,
- Won the national championship in softball in the USCAA,
- Launched a four-year nursing bachelor program,
- Received a gift of $1,045,000 from the Class of 1965 during Reunion; and
Finished the year exceeding our Woods Fund goal for the first time since the 2007-08 year!
It was also a year for reflection, redefinition and re-imagining regarding the College. We announced as part of a three-year long strategic planning process, that SMWC will now admit men into all programs at the College. As I look toward the start of our next year, there is still much to do to strengthen the institution and grow enrollment, and I am trusting in Providence to help guide our direction.
The opportunities far out way the challenges, and I remain encouraged by the future. The mission of Saint Mother Theodore Guerin continues on in the work we do to educate Woods students - women and men, on campus and online, undergraduate and graduate - every day. The next 175 years starts today - with the opportunities we choose to accept and the vision we choose to implement.
I am glad of the great giving spirit of the many alums, friends, faculty, staff and students who have a passion for The Woods and who have supported the College this year – through prayer, volunteering and their personal philanthropic support. I am humbled and grateful for each of you and look forward to our work together this coming year.
Dottie L. King
Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College