The building design of the Church of the Immaculate Conception is inspired by La Trinita (the Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity, 1867) in Paris. Construction for the current church began with the laying of the cornerstone in 1886; the Church was consecrated in 1907. It was designed by D.A. Bohlen and Son of Indianapolis, Indiana. The exterior was completed in 1890.