Student Alcohol and Drug Policy
Saint Mary‑of‑the‑Woods College is committed to providing a safe environment for students, employees, and visitors. Furthermore, the College is committed to assuring its continued representation as a quality institution. To achieve these goals, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College must take a firm and positive stand against drug and alcohol abuse. This policy is intended to ensure a drug free environment for our students, employees, and visitors.
- The use, possession, sale, or transfer of an illegal drug by any student on College property is strictly prohibited.
- Possession, distribution, or consumption of alcoholic beverages while on the property of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College is not permitted except at official events catered by Food Service personnel and those served must be 21 years of age or older.
- No alcohol containers, whether empty or full, are to be used for decoration resident rooms.
- Students may be required to consult with the College Counselor to find a program that will help deal with any drug or alcohol problems.
- Students may be required to attend regular counseling sessions with the College Counselor and/or enroll in a substance abuse program.
- When a student in the Campus program is found in possession of illegal drugs or alcohol, a written report will be submitted to the Campus Life office.
- Following the report submission, the dean of students may choose to forward the report to the Judicial Board. The Judicial Board is a peer-board that reviews reported incidents and recommends disciplinary sanctions should they feel that the evidence supports a policy violation.
- The student will be scheduled to appear before the Judicial Board. The board will review the report and give an appropriate sanction. Sanctions may include one or more of the following sanctions:
- Community Service
- Monetary Fine
- Meeting with the vice president of Student Life
- If the incident is deemed to be severe, the dean of students may choose to consult with the vice president for Student Life to review options. This options may include:
- Required Counseling
- Required Alcohol or Drug Program
- When a student in the Woods Online program or one of the graduate programs is found in possession of illegal drugs or alcohol, a written report will be submitted to the appropropriate program director. The disciplinary action may be a warning, suspension, or expulsion from the program.