We highly recommend you begin the master of arts in art therapy application process as soon as possible.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 / 4.0 or higher on any undergraduate work
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 / 4.0 or higher on any graduate work.
- Personal interview with SMWC MAAT director and faculty.
- Must have completed 12 semester hours in psychology including:
- Introduction to Psychology
- Life Span Developmental Psychology
- Abnormal Psychology
- Theories of Personality
- 18 semester hours in studio art including:
- drawing (3 credit hours)
- painting (3 credit hours)
- ceramics (3 credit hours)
- sculpture (3 credit hours)
- Other art media (6 credit hours).
In order to apply for the master of art therapy program, you must submit the following by April 30:
- Completed online application.
- Official college transcripts sent directly to us from the college or university you attended.
- Art Portfolio showcasing 15-20 images including drawings, paintings, ceramics, sculpture and art in other art media forms.
- Two letters of recommendation from someone who can assess your professional or academic experience. Recommendations should be completed using the online form.
- Completed art therapy checklist including the names of two art therapists within 100 miles of your home area and the closest art therapy chapter.
Completed applications and materials are processed once the application is complete. Acceptance letters are mailed within 30 days after the application deadline of April 30. Application materials should be submitted to: