Education and Qualifications
- Doctoral Student in Health Sciences, Indiana State University (2016-present)
- M.M., East Carolina University (1995)
- B.A., Linfield College (1993)
- Board-certified music therapist through the Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT) since 1996
- Level II Music & Imagery Training (Anna Maria College)
- Post-graduate courses at University of Kansas, Indiana State University and Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College
Areas of Specialization, Publication and Research
- Boyle, S. (2018). Musicianship in music therapy (voice section). In A. Clair, A. Knight, & B. LaGasse (Eds.), Music therapy: An introduction to the profession (pp. 72-76). Silver Spring, MD: American Music Therapy Association.
- Schwartz, E., Boyle, S., & Engen, R. (2018). Functional voice skills for music therapists. Braunfels, TX: Barcelona. ISBN : 9781945411328
E-ISBN : 9781945411335
- Engen, R.L. & Boyle, S.R. (2018, January). A descriptive analysis of the perceived vocal health and vocal challenges for music therapists. Unpublished manuscript.
- Boyle, S.R. & Engen, R.L. (2008). Are music therapists at risk for voice problems? Raising awareness of vocal health issues? Music Therapy Perspectives, 26 (1), 46-50.
- Boyle, S.R. (2004, November). The music therapy assessment handbook. [Review of the book The Music Therapy Assessment, by K. Chase]. Music Therapy Perspectives, 22(2), 130-132.
- Contributions to Moderated Discussion Forum of Voices: A World Forum for Music Therapy
- Regular presenter at state, regional, and national conferences on topics such as: clinical voice use in music therapy, vocal improvisation, music-based care in long term care, self-care in music therapy, vocal health and maintenance in music therapy, clinical training and supervision in music therapy
Recognition and Awards
- 2016 – December Commencement Speaker at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College
- 2016 – Sister Mary Joseph Pomeroy Award for Faculty Excellence in Teaching
- 2014 – Recipient of the Alumnae Faculty Leadership Award at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.
- 2013-14 – Lead faculty and Advisor for $11,000.00 Ball Venture Funded project, an inter-institutional, faculty/student team to develop and build a portable electronic drum table which simulates several different percussion instruments for clinical application in music therapy settings.
- 2011 – Sister Mary Joseph Pomeroy Faculty Excellence Award for Teaching
- 2010 – Community Service Provider of the Year Award from Human Resources Center of Edgar and Clark Counties (SMWC Music Therapy Program)
- 2008 – Sister Joseph Pomeroy Faculty Excellence Award for Scholarship
- Music Therapy Perspectives Editorial Board (2009-2015)
- American Music Therapy Association (AMTA), member since 1996
- Great Lakes Region of AMTA (GLR), Mentor in Mentoring Program (2014- ); Strategic Planning Committee – chair of FAQ sub-committee (2011-2012); State Representative (2007-2011)
- Association for Indiana Music Therapy (AIMT), Past-President (2011-2012); President (2007-2011); Webmaster (2009-2012); President-Elect (2006-07); Public Relations Officer (2005-2007)
- Mu Phi Epsilon, Gamma Psi Alumni Chapter, Scholarship Committee Chairperson (2004-2005)
- 20+ years extensive clinical practice
- 15+ years teaching experience at undergraduate and graduate level
- 15+ years of clinical supervision experience with interns and undergraduate students