The Indiana Junior Science and Humanities Symposium (JSHS) will be held on the campus of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College on March 9, 2018. There will not be a poster show this year. All oral presentations will take place March 9, 2018.
Registrations (for both participants and sponsors), abstracts, and research papers must be received electronically on or before February 1, 2018.
- All attendees (students, teachers, chaperones, parents) must register online by February 15, 2018.
- Submit Your Abstract or Research Paper: Abstracts and research papers must be submitted during registration by February 1, 2018. They must be completed according to the same guidelines as those for the National JSHS. Submission guidelines and instructions.
JSHS (www.jshs.org) is a science, mathematics, and humanities research competition open to high school students in grades 9-12 who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
It is funded by a military grant from the Research Offices of the U.S. Army, Navy, and Air Force; the grant is administered by the Academy of Applied Science in Concord, New Hampshire ( (603) 228-4520).
We encourage groups of students to attend as observers and will invite approximately 20 students to make oral presentations. Presentations are given before a group of peers, teachers, and judges. This year the Indiana Regional may also have a poster session for any student who would like to present their research in a poster format.
General Schedule of Symposium
- Friday: Check-in, 3rd floor of Rooney Library at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College; Morning and afternoon oral presentations; Student activities/tours late afternoon; Dinner; Guest Speaker.
- Lunch and dinner provided.
Guidelines for InJSHS are the same as those required of the National JSHS. Please refer to the submission guidelines.
Indiana Regional JSHS
The Teacher Award may be granted to the actively participating teacher of the 1st place regional winner. The $500 reward may be used for supplies in the classroom or to assist in supporting the teacher’s attendance at the National JSHS.
- 1st Place National Finalist – $12,000 scholarship
- 2nd Place National Finalist – $8,000 scholarship
- 3rd Place National Finalist – $4,000 scholarship
There are eight categories at the National competition. The top five Regional winners will travel to the National JSHS (www.jshs.org) as the Indiana delegation. The first and second place Regional winners will compete for the national scholarships. The third place winner will be presenting a poster at a separate competition at Nationals. Plans for the 56st National JSHS are progressing. The dates for nationals are May 2-5, 2018 in Hunt Valley, Maryland.