Education and Qualifications
- Master of Arts – Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College
- Bachelor of Music – University of Dayton
- Advanced Trainee in the Bonny Method of Guided Imagery and Music – Appalachian Sate University
- Board Certified Music Therapist, CBMT 1997- present
- An active clinician working in hospice care
- Served as a practicum supervisor and internship director.
- Served in numerous leadership positions for state, regional, and national music therapy organizations
- Presenter at state, regional, national, and international music therapy conferences on topics such as Musical Techniques of Engagement, Music Therapy Internship and Supervision, Music Therapy for Persons with Alzheimer’s Disease, and Interdisciplinary Collaboration.
- McHugh, L., Gardstrom, S., Hiller, J. Brewer, M., & Diestelkamp, W. (2012). The effect of pre-meal, vocal re-creative music therapy on nutritional intake of residents with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias: A pilot study. Music Therapy Perspectives, 30, (1), 32-42.
Recognition and Awards
- The Florence Tyson Grant to study Music Psychotherapy, November 2012
- Association of Music and Imagery – Level III Advanced Trainee, Member
- Association of Ohio Music Therapists – Professional Member
- American Music Therapy Association – Professional Member