Welcome to the SMWC Counseling Center! We are here to help with the academic and personal challenges that happen as a college student. We know stress happens, and we are here to help.
The SMWC Student Counseling Center offers a variety of services at no cost to students currently enrolled in at least one credit hour at SMWC.
Why Go to the Counseling Center?
Counseling Center staff work with students experiencing a wide variety of personal and academic problems that arise. Counseling can be another avenue for growth and learning while in college. We are available to help students succeed in reaching their personal and academic goals. Examples of common concerns include:
- Low self-confidence
- Adjusting to college life and homesickness
- Poor academic performance, including study skills and test-taking anxiety
- Relationship difficulties with family, friends and roommates
- Balancing responsibilities- academic, personal and social
- Career interests, abilities and goals
- Alcohol and drug use
- Managing time and/or stress
- Dealing with troublesome feelings such as depression, anxiety, loneliness, shyness, fear and anger
- Body image problems and eating disorders
- Trauma of sexual assault or rape
- Coping with death and loss
- Coping with grief
- Concerns about helping a friend
All counseling sessions and contact with the Counseling Center are kept in strict confidence as delineated by our Code of Ethics, Indiana State Law and National Law.
- This information is not part of your academic record
Information can only be released:
- The student requests in writing that the information be released
- An immediate danger of serious harm to self or someone else requires that information be released to prevent harm from happening
- Information about child, handicapped or elder abuse is revealed that must be reported to the proper authorities
Make an Appointment
- Schedule online
- Call 812-535-5102
- Stop by the SMWC Student Counseling Center located in Le Fer Room 122
- Please know that due to licensing laws, only students who are currently in the State of Indiana can be seen for counseling services at the SMWC Counseling Center.
- For out-of-state and evening appointments, please contact TimelyCare
- In a crisis, please contact Public Safety at 812-535-6400 or dial 988 for immediate assistance.
What to Expect at Your First Appointment
- After scheduling your first appointment, you will receive a link for the Saint Mary-of-the-Woods Therapy Notes portal. Please take a few moments to set up your portal access. This will allow you to complete your initial paperwork and treatment consents online. Please complete this paperwork prior to your appointment.
- You will then meet one-on-one with one of our counselors for a triage appointment. This triage appointment is shorter than a regular appointment, typically lasting 20-30 minutes. This appointment will help us better understand your current concerns and how the Counseling Center can best help you.
- At the end of the triage, you and the counselor will identify a plan that best fits your needs (individual therapy, group therapy, one session, referral). It is important to know that your triage counselor may not be the counselor that you will continue to see.
- Please remember that your visit is confidential.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
The SMWC Counseling Center values the creation and maintenance of an atmosphere of openness and trust in which everyone is encouraged to explore and discuss their attitudes, values, beliefs and behaviors. We are committed to the continued assessment of our progress in fostering an environment where everyone is respected, welcomed and appreciated. We are dedicated to developing programming aligning with these values.