Dear students, faculty and staff,
Best wishes to you for a healthy and happy new year as we head into 2021 in a few days. With your health in mind and the safety of the SMWC community a priority of mine and the COVID-19 Taskforce, I would like to share our plans for keeping our campus safe as we begin the new semester. After a successful fall semester, the taskforce remains confident that we will be able to continue safe operations and in-person classes starting Monday, January 11, 2021.
The taskforce is also pleased to announce that the College is adding weekly COVID-19 testing on campus to help more quickly identify and isolate infected individuals. Lucid Laboratory Services will be providing COVID-19 PCR testing of employees and students with results provided within 24 hours. Testing will be free to individuals with or without proof of insurance as long as the screening questionnaire is completed with at least one affirmative answer.
The Health Services Clinic will continue to provide testing for symptomatic individuals and other general healthcare needs.
Testing details for return to campus: All residential students and athletes will be required to complete testing upon return to campus before being allowed to move back into the residence hall or to attend practice. Commuter students are encouraged to be tested.
Testing will occur from 10:00-5:00 p.m. in Hulman Conference Center (2nd floor Hulman Hall) on the following dates:
- Monday, January 4
- Sunday, January 10
- Monday, January 11
You are encouraged to preregister for your test online, however it is not required: https://lucid.digitalrequisitions.com/NewPatientSignup.aspx?LabId=41
If you are ill or exhibiting symptoms you should not return to work or campus until recuperated.
What to do after taking the test: After you have completed the COVID-19 test in Hulman Hall, residential students may return to the residence hall. Campus Life staff will confirm your COVID test receipt and the #CampusClear app on your phone.
- All students are expected to use the #CampusClear app for the remainder of the academic year.
- Test results will be sent via the email address provided at registration.
- Since results will be delayed for 24 hours, all students will still need to wear masks, physically distance and quarantine until their results are obtained.
If your test results come back positive, you will be required to isolate in your room or be allowed to return home. You should not report to class or practice.
You may be exempt: If you have tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 90 days you will be considered exempt from the required testing. You must provide documentation of your prior positive COVID-19 illness in order to opt-out of the test.
Required weekly testing for athletes: Beginning on Tuesday, January 12, Lucid Lab Services will begin weekly testing for athletic teams in the basement of Rooney Library. The schedule details for each team will be shared at a later time.
Vaccination: The COVID-19 Taskforce has not yet been made aware of vaccination details specific for our campus-wide community with the exception for nursing students and faculty.
- Students and faculty who will be participating in clinicals at Union Hospital this spring are considered part of the front-facing healthcare team and will be afforded the vaccination. Relevant students and faculty should contact Dr. Marcia Miller, chairperson for the SMWC Nursing Department for details.
- The taskforce will continue to monitor news of vaccinations closely and will keep you apprised of important information as it becomes available.
- Athletes returning to campus early and all students residing in Le Fer hall will be tested upon arrival before returning to their rooms or practice. Commuter student testing is available and encouraged.
- All students should not return to campus if they are ill or exhibiting symptoms since the test results are delayed for 24 hours.
- Students should continue to follow regular COVID-19 protocols: wear masks, physically distance.
- Test results will be sent to the individuals via the email address provided at registration.
- Pre-registration is encouraged online: https://lucid.digitalrequisitions.com/NewPatientSignup.aspx?LabId=41
I look forward to the new year and all the great things we will accomplish together!
Janet R. Clark, Ph.D.
Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs