FIRE UPDATE (9/2): Classroom Relocations
September 2nd, 2010 | By SMWC
Update regarding the Guerin Hall fire from the Office of the President
September 1st, 2:00 pm.
I have never been more proud to be part of any group of individuals! In the midst of a crisis situation, we rose to the occasion in a calm and deliberate manner. As of this morning, we have moved five classrooms and several offices to new locations. The IT staff worked overtime to ensure that we had the appropriate teaching technology and office setups to be able to continue our necessary business. The maintenance staff are busy working with the fire investigation, cleaning service, and electricians. This morning, when asked by a local business person how we were handling this situation, I accurately reported (with a little bit of emotion) that we were doing just fine!
In the near future, we would like to plan a cook-out or similar event to come together as a community and give thanks for the safety of all faculty, staff, and students and to publically recognize and thank the firefighters who responded to our fire. I will continue to communicate as more information becomes available.
Dottie King, Interim President, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College
Last updated September 2nd.
New classroom relocations go into effect Tuesday, September 7th. Your instructor may decide to transition into new teaching spaces sooner - please check with your instructor for details.
- CO111-05, CO111-07, and EN111-05 (Tu/Th classes formerly in GU230) will now be in the Library AV room (3rd floor).
- PL231, PL233, PL/EV350 and PL231 (M/W/F classes formerly in GU229) will now be in the Library AV room (3rd floor).
- ID100 (S. Ammen) (formerly in GU230) will meet in the Cecilian Auditorium.
- All classes formerly in GU204 will remain in the Alumnae Board Room (Library, 2nd floor)
- All classes formerly in GU231 will remain in the Hulman Conference Center, Rm A (Hulman Hall, 3rd floor)
- All classes formerly in GU232 will remain in the Hulman Conference Center, Room B (Hulman Hall, 3rd floor)
Original Story follows.
At approximately 12:30 pm on August 31st, 2010 a fire occurred in the basement of Guerin Hall. The fire was contained to the basement area and one first-floor office. Everyone was safely evacuated. Smoke from the fire traveled to the Conservatory and it was also temporarily evacuated.
Classes and offices in Guerin Hall have been relocated to other buildings on campus. Please see the updates on this page for the latest information about office and classroom relocations.
For now, all classes in Hulman, Le Fer, the Conservatory, and the library will meet as scheduled. The Conservatory was evacuated because of smoke from Guerin Hall. The smoke is now cleared from the building.
Please continue to check your email and the website for further details.
UPDATE 2:00 pm - September 1st
We anticipate the process of cleaning the offices to take 3-4 weeks and a thorough Information Technology infrastructure audit part may take longer. For affected faculty and staff, entrance into the building will be arranged during controlled time-frames each week. Please continue to monitor your email for updates.
UPDATE 5:30 PM - August 31st
Classes will meet at their scheduled times in these new locations starting Wednesday, September 1st.
Classes and key offices are being relocated from Guerin Hall to other buildings on campus. Please use the information below in order to find your class.
- The Office of Financial Aid, Office of the Registrar, and the Business Office are being relocated to the President's Room on the first floor of the Library. All primary office phone numbers should still work.
- The President's Office is being relocated to the Formal Parlor of Le Fer Hall.
- The Offices of Advancement, Alumnae Relations, Publications, Graduate Programs, Woods External Degree program and affected faculty will be working from remote locations. The best way to contact individuals in these offices would be by email.
If you need assistance with contacting a specific office please call the SMWC switchboard at (812) 535-5151.