The IRB will consist of at least five members with varying backgrounds to promote complete and adequate review of research activities. At least four of the members will be SMWC faculty or staff. At least one member will be a community member who is not otherwise affiliated with SMWC and who is not a part of the immediate family of a person who is affiliated with the College.
The IRB will include at least one member whose primary concerns are in scientific areas and at least one member whose primary concerns are in nonscientific areas. The IRB membership will be inclusive of both women and men. In its discretion, the IRB may invite individuals with competence in special areas to assist in the review of issues which require expertise beyond or in addition to that available on the IRB. These individuals may not vote with the IRB.
The Vice President for Academic Affairs or his/her designee will serve as member and chair of the IRB. The IRB chair will be responsible for:
- maintaining membership of the IRB consistent with federal regulations (45 CFR §46.107)
- receiving proposals
- conducting initial reviews
- calling meetings
- recording and distributing minutes
- sending letters of notification regarding approval/disapproval to investigator(s).
The IRB will meet at least once during each of the fall and winter semesters. Additional meetings will be held as needed.
IRB application materials and copies of notification letters will be stored in the Office of Academic Affairs.
2012-2013 Institutional Review Board Members
- Jennie L. Mitchell, Ph.D., Chair (Professor - Business & CIS)
- Brad Huffey, Ph.D. (Professor - Social & Behavorial Sciences)
- Sonja Frantz, Ph.D. (Associate Professor - Education)
- Joyce Cadwallader, Ph.D. (Professor - Sciences & Mathematics)
- Lamprini Pantazi, M.S., MBA (Assistant Professor - Master of Leadership Development)
- Pamela Sebura, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor - Education)
- Scott Ripple, MD Health Services, DePauw University (Community Member)