Le Fer Hall may look like a castle, but it is complete with the modern conveniences you need to live, learn and work at SMWC in Saint Mary of the Woods, Indiana. Housed in this 1923 old-world French renaissance structure are the basic comforts of home — air conditioning, hardwood floors, cable TV, desks, beds — plus amenities such as 24-hour computer lab, laundry facilities, student lounges and much more!
Immerse yourself in the full college experience.
Students who live on campus at SMWC find it easier to engage in the campus community which often means better grades and a happier student. And, there is the convenience of walking to class, watching a movie on the large screen television in Sullivan Lounge, and having your friends close by when you need help with a class project.
Services and Amenities
- Technology bars and free printing
- Wireless internet
- Full kitchen on every residential floor
- Free laundry facilities on every residential floor
- Lofted beds (most rooms)
- Air Hockey, ping pong and pool tables
- Bicycle rack
- Pomeroy Bike Share Program
- Vending machines
The rooms feature hardwood floors, high ceilings, air-conditioning, ceiling fan and blinds. Each occupant will enjoy the following:
- Stackable twin bed
What to Bring
- Laptop or iPad
- School supplies
- Surge protector
- USB flash drive
- Headphones / ear buds
- Desk lamp
- Three-hole punch
- Pens, pencils, highlighters, erasers
- Hair dryer
- Shower caddy
- Toothbrush and holder
- Sheet set (standard twin-size)
- Pillows & pillow cases
- Laundry basket or hamper
- Mesh laundry bag for delicates
- Iron (with automatic shut-off) or steamer
- Stain remover
Personal & Wellness
- Hygiene supplies
- First aid kit / Band Aids
- Cold medicine
- Pain reliever / fever reducer
- Alarm clock
- Extra blankets
- Coffee pot or Keurig (with automatic shut-off)
- Area rug
- Bulletin board
- Blue painters tape to hang items in room
- Command strips to hang items in room
- Closet organizer
- Small refrigerator (3.0 cubic feet maximum, U.L. approved)
- Shoe rack
- Extra storage containers
- Television (cannot be wall mounted)
- Filtered water pitcher
- Water bottle
- Small tool kit
- Can opener; limited cookware
- Trash bags
What NOT to Bring
- Candles / incense
- Full-size refrigerators
- Microwaves, waffle makers, air fryers, Instapots, fondue pots, etc.
- Extra furniture
- Pets (other than fish in a 5 gallon or smaller tank)
- Wireless or wired router
- Alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs
- Drugs or drug paraphernalia
- Halogen lights
- Multi-arm lamps with plastic shades
- Loft beds
- Any exposed heating elements (electric grills, toasters, or toaster ovens)
Other Room Details
Walls and ceilings
TVs are not permitted to be hung on the walls. You can only hang posters or paper items with Command removable adhesive strips or hooks.
You should always lock your door when leaving your room, even if you are leaving for just a few minutes. Make sure to carry your key and SMWC Student ID with you at all times.
Your room charge includes the following amenities: laundry, electricity, gas, water, heat, AC, and internet
Each residential floor has a community kitchen for students to use. The kitchen has a full size refrigerator, stove, microwave, and toaster. Students should label all items they put in the fridge. Students must provide their own cookware and utensils. Students must clean their own dishes and the kitchen after use.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the mailing address?
Le Fer Hall Box [###]
1 St Mary of Woods Coll
Saint Mary of the Woods, IN 47876
What is the best type of room?
Every room in Le Fer Hall is unique and you will soon determine what your priority is in a room. As a new student, you are placed into a room based on your housing/roommate preference form. For the rest of your time at SMWC, you will enter a housing lottery to select your desired room.
What do students often forget to bring?
- Full-length mirrors
- Command strips
- Laundry detergent/fabric softener
- Mattress cover/pad
- Laundry basket
Can I mount / hang stuff on my walls?
All posters and décor must be hung using command strips. You may hang curtains, but cannot install curtain rods unless you use the spring-loaded poles.
Should I bring a TV?
You should talk with your roommate to determine what each of you will bring so that you have enough space in your room for both of your belongings. This will prevent you from bringing doubles of items such as fridges or televisions.
Any additional questions can be directed to Campus Life staff at CampusLife@smwc.edu.