If you are considering the Master of Art Therapy degree program, we highly recommend you begin the application process as soon as possible. If you are not sure what prerequisites you may need, we will do a transcript evaluation and advise you through the process. If you apply online, the application fee is waived - so there isn't any reason to delay! Apply now!
In order to apply for the Master of Art Therapy degree program, you must submit the following by April 30th:
- Completed online application form
- Completed online Art Therapy checklist
- Official transcript of all collegiate work (Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university)
- Art Portfolio showcasing 15-20 images including drawings, paintings, ceramics, sculpture and art in other art media forms.
- Three letters of recommendation from someone knowledgeable of the applicant's professional or academic experience. Recommendation letters should be sent in using the following online form:Graduate Recommendation Form.
Other admission requirements include the following:
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 / 4.0 or higher on any undergraduate work
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 / 4.0 or higher on any graduate work.
- Personal interview with SMWC MAAT director and faculty.
- 12 semester hours in psychology including:
- Introduction to Psychology
- Life Span Developmental Psychology
- Abnormal Psychology
- Theories of Personality
- 18 semester hours in studio art including:
- drawing (3 credit hours)
- painting (3 credit hours)
- ceramics (3 credit hours)
- sculpture (3 credit hours)
- Other art media (6 credit hours)
- Completed online checklist including the names of two art therapists within 100 miles of your home area and the closest art therapy chapter.
Find an ATR near you:
Completed applications and materials are processed once the application is complete. Acceptance letters are mailed within 30 days after the application deadline of April 30th.
All application materials should be submitted to:
Office of Graduate Admission / MAAT
Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College
Saint Mary of the Woods, IN 47876