Prepare for a career as a teacher with an education degree from SMWC as an on-campus student or in our online degree program.
Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S.) Kindergarten – Grade 6 Overview
As an elementary education certified teacher, you can make a meaningful and powerful impact on young children. Our elementary education bachelor’s degree program prepares you to teach grades Kindergarten through Grade 6 with Mild Intervention as a dual licensure education program. The coursework (120 hours) has been designed to equip you with the skills, knowledge and professional dispositions you will need to enter K-6 classrooms or K-6 Special Education (Mild Intervention) classrooms successfully.
Because you’ll get quality education:
- Our Elementary/Mild Intervention (Kindergarten-Grade 6) is approved by the Indiana Department of Education and meets all of REPA 3 (Rules for Educator Preparation and Accreditation) regulations.
- You will be afforded several clinical/field experiences culminating in student teaching the last semester of your senior year. Diverse placements will be arranged in private and/or public schools within Indiana or Illinois.
- Your education will be shaped by veteran educators in the field as well as Education faculty who are accomplished in their area of expertise.
- Your experience will be enriched by a variety of extracurricular and/or professional development experiences where you will be able to apply your classroom knowledge in real school settings.
- The learning outcomes of the Elementary/Mild Intervention (K-6) bachelor’s degree are aligned with the 2013 InTASC standards and cover the following domains: learner and learning, content knowledge, instructional practice, and professional responsibility.
Because we offer several advantages:
- Classes are offered on-campus or online, in traditional 16 weeks or accelerated 8 weeks. Some classes are also offered in an alternative or hybrid format.
- Financial aid and scholarship opportunities are available.
- Advisors are committed to your growth and success.
- Small class size provides ample opportunities for differentiated instruction, hands-on application, and caring support.
#4 Best Online Bachelor's in Special Education ProgramsBest Colleges
#3 Best Online Bachelor’s in Secondary EducationBest Education Degrees
#2 Best Online Bachelor Degree Programs in Special EducationStudy.com
Best Online Bachelor's in Elementary Education ProgramsIntelligent
#8 Best Online Early Childhood Education DegreesCollege Choice
#10 Best Online Bachelor's in TeachingCenter for Online Education
Best Online Bachelor's In Early Childhood EducationCollege Consensus
Best Online Bachelors Special Education DegreesCollege Consensus
Top 20 Online Bachelors in Special EducationOnline Schools Center
#7 Top Colleges for Online Bachelor's Degrees in EducationOnlineDegrees.com
#4 Best Teaching DegreesBest Value Schools