At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, we believe supporting diverse populations creates a culture of personal and intellectual growth. We know that learning is enhanced when we share our unique perspectives, discover our commonalities and encourage respect for our differences.
The Diversity Council is an advisory and leadership team focused on advancing the College’s strategic commitment to diversity as a core institutional and educational value. The council will develop recommendations and proactive strategies to move our vision forward and create an increasingly diverse, equitable and inclusive academic environment.
The council will enhance SMWC’s efforts to provide opportunities for students, faculty and staff to embrace social justice and develop the knowledge and skills necessary for making thoughtful, responsible contributions in a diverse society.
Areas of focus include:
- Identify and initiate co-curricular diversity-centered learning to enhance cultural awareness for the campus community, creating opportunities for education, personal growth, dialogue and meaningful discourse.
- Serve as advocates for diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Promote cross-campus collaboration of diversity initiatives.
- Seek diversity enrichment opportunities within the Catholic Church, the Indianapolis Archdiocese and Sisters of Providence.
Diversity Council Statement
The latest statement from the Diversity Council on the death of George Floyd and the events that have occurred since can be found here.
Diversity Council Members
- Terry Bowe – Associate Vice President for Human Resources
- Dee Reed – Associate Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Sara Church – Lecturer of Psychology
- Brooke Hickey – Human Resources Generalist
- Aimee Janssen-Robinson – Associate Vice-President for Student Affairs
- Jaynard Keys- Admission Counselor, Assistant Track & Field Coach
- Mike King – Director of Institutional Research
- Antonia Taylor – Associate Director of Academic Services for Student Success, Senior Lecturer for Languages and Literature
- Suad Sakalli-Gumus – Associate Professor of Education
- Michael Hunter – Head Men’s Basketball Coach, Student-Athlete Academic Advisor
- Leona Manning – Adjunct Instructor Arts & Letters
- Sara Nimori – Administrative Assistant
- Martha Reed – Associate Director of Career Center
- Josh MacIvor-Anderson – Associate Professor of English
- Monica Baez-Holley – Associate Professor of French and Spanish
- Kim LaComba – Assistant Professor of Global Leadership
- Hope McGuire – Student, President of the Black Student Association