At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, we believe supporting diverse populations creates a culture of personal and intellectual growth. We know that learning is enhanced when we share our unique perspectives, discover our commonalities and encourage respect for our differences.
The President’s Diversity Council is an advisory and leadership team focused on advancing the College’s strategic commitment to diversity as a core institutional and educational value. The council will develop recommendations and proactive strategies to move our vision forward and create an increasingly diverse, equitable and inclusive academic environment.
The council will enhance SMWC’s efforts to provide opportunities for students to embrace social justice and develop knowledge and skills necessary for making thoughtful, responsible contributions in a diverse society.
Areas of focus include:
- Identify and initiate co-curricular diversity-centered learning to enhance cultural awareness for the campus community, creating opportunities for education, personal growth, dialogue and meaningful discourse.
- Serve as advocates for diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Promote cross-campus collaboration of diversity initiatives.
- Seek diversity enrichment opportunities within the Catholic Church, the Indianapolis Archdiocese and Sisters of Providence.
Diversity Council Statement
The latest statement from the Diversity Council on the death of George Floyd and the events that have occurred since can be found here.
Diversity Council Members
- Sharon Boyle – Associate Professor of Music Therapy, Undergraduate Music Therapy Program Coordinator, Department Chair
- Susan Dolle – Director of Grants Development
- Aimee Janssen-Robinson – Associate Vice-President for Student Affairs
- Mike King – Director of Institutional Research
- Chris Lozier – Executive Director of Admissions
- Lisa Pepperworth – Director of Human Resources
- Debra Powell – Associate Professor of Equine Studies
- Dee Reed – Associate Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Wendy Walter – Associate Professor of Education, Department Chair
- Elaine Yaw – Associate Professor of Media Art