Student life at The Woods is a rewarding experience. To help you and your student get familiar with life on campus, we’ve put together the following answers to frequently asked questions. If you can’t find the answer to your question here, feel free to contact the Office of Student Life at 812-535-5219.

The Basics

What health resources does SMWC have on campus?

SMWC has a full-time counselor on staff available to current students. Students can make regular appointments or just meet once. The counselor can also assist with outside referrals if necessary. SMWC also has a Health Services Clinic which provides exams, immunizations, screenings, over-the-counter medications and more. The costs for these services are covered by tuition and fees for campus and commuter students.

TimelyCare Telehealth for Pomeroys
TimelyCare provides the 24/7, on-demand and scheduled care that students need to be well and thrive.  Including mental and emotional support, medical, counseling, psychiatry, health coaching, and care navigation, all SMWC students have 24/7 access to TimelyCare through the TimelyCare app.  This is a free resource for all SMWC students.

What security measure are in place at SMWC?

Public Safety is on-call 24 hours a day with regular patrols around campus. The Public Safety office is located on the lower level of Le Fer Hall. Le Fer Hall is also equipped with a prox card system allowing only residents and necessary staff access to the residence hall floors.

Who do I/my student need to communicate with if they have specific dietary restrictions?

Bon Appetit (SMWC food provider) works diligently to offer a wide variety of meal options for all dietary concerns. To ensure that there are plenty of meal options, the student can set up a meeting with Bon Appetit. The Office of Campus Life can provide more specific information if needed.

Living On-Campus

When do the buildings close and what does that mean if my student lives on campus?

Le Fer Hall and Les Bois Hall will close for fall break, Thanksgiving break, Christmas break, spring break, Easter break and summer break.

What happens if my student does not get along with their roommate?

We encourage students to try to work through any issues with roommates through open communication. Students should talk to their RAs for advice on how to work through these issues.

What is the policy on decorating our student’s room?

Students are not allowed to paint the room, but can hang objects on the wall using Command 3M strips.

What does my student do if something is broken or does not work in their room?

If a student has any issue with plumbing, electricity, or any other maintenance issue in their room, they should contact the RA or RA on-call to complete a maintenance form. If it is an emergency, they should let the RA know and the RA will contact Public Safety/Maintenance.

What is the visitation policy?

Visitation hours are Sunday-Thursday 8 a.m. – 12 a.m., Friday-Saturday, 8 a.m. – 2 a.m. Overnight guests of the same gender are allowed, but must be documented as an overnight guest. All guests must be signed in at the front desk.

What is the cost/access to laundry facilities on campus?

All students have access to free laundry facilities that are located on each floor of the residence halls. Students are responsible for providing their own laundry soap and fabric softener. 

Are there any items that they are not allowed to bring into the residence hall?

Check out the full list of items students are encouraged to bring and not allowed to bring on the Residence Hall page.

How does my student find out how to get involved on campus?

In the first few weeks of classes in the Fall, the offices of Campus Life will host a Student Organization Fair showcasing all the current student organizations. At any time, the student can stop by Campus Life to get more information about a current club or organization or learn about starting a new club or organization. If the student is a resident student, monthly activities will also be found on the calendar located in their wing. Campus activities and events are posted on the Student Hub.

What opportunities will my student have to connect with their faith?

Campus Ministry offers a variety of connections to the Sisters of Providence and other religious opportunities in the community. See more information

Commuter Students

What are the requirements for a student to live off campus and commute?

The student plans to live with their guardian within 45 miles of the college, they are over the age of 24, or considered an independent student as defined by financial aid regulations. To be a commuter, the student must complete a commuter status application and be approved by the Director of Student Affairs. The application can be found here.

Can commuter students eat on campus?

Yes, commuter students have a meal plan. Commuter students also have access to refrigerators and microwaves in the 1st Floor Kitchen and Oakley Student Center (Le Fer Hall) and the Commuter Student Lounge (Lower Level of Hulman Hall). Coffee, snacks and grab-and-go lunch items are also available at the Market and Woods Cafe.