Established in 2003, the SMWC Music Therapy Student Association hosts a variety of activities to enhance the student experience. They include:
- Guest speakers
- Community outreach projects, such as leading music in after-school programs
- Facilitating music wellness experiences during Campus Health Awareness Week
- Participating in Race for the Cure and Relay for Life (teams, volunteering, etc.)
- Leading music groups for athletes during Special Olympics
- Campus-wide open mic nights
- Campus movie nights, which focus on specific topics
- Fundraisers, such as the fall Haunted Conservatory and Singing Valentines in February
- Attendance at state, regional and national music therapy conferences
We believe that music bypasses the intellect, unleashes emotions, speaks to the soul, inspires the heart and creates a connection through the ages.
The SMWC Music Therapy Student Association’s purpose is to educate the community of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and the community-at-large about music therapy; to enrich our perspective, as students, about the music therapist profession through experience and observation; and to promote the field of music therapy.
Email faculty advisor Tracy Richardson, Ph.D., MT-BC, for more information.