With great intentionality, the Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College COVID-19 Task Force has put in place steps to slowly transition the campus to return to work this summer and will begin implementing this portion of The Avenue to Reopening Plan.
Last week, the College welcomed a small portion of staff members back to campus who volunteered to return early, while extending remote work for the remainder of the staff through May 22. The transition so far has been smooth and welcomed.
The following plan outlines expectations for staff and faculty to return to work safely beginning May 26. Thank you for your continued cooperation as we ramp up operations in a safe and responsible manner.
Janet R. Clark, Ph.D.
Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs
The Avenue to Reopening – The Return to Work Plan for SMWC staff and faculty
Beginning May 26, 2020
- The SMWC Return to Work plan calls for the remainder of the staff to return to work on campus.
- Staff with underlying conditions, at-risk family members in their household or other mitigating circumstances may request an extension to work remotely through July 3. This request will be made to HR by completing the Request to Work from Home Form and following the guidelines set forth in the Telecommuting Policy.
- Faculty are requested to continue to work remotely, visiting campus only on an as needed or limited basis.
- All employees will be asked to comply with COVID-19 safety protocols and self-reporting requirements which includes wearing facial masks in public setting, following social distancing guidelines and proper handwashing hygiene.
- Invited guests will be allowed to visit campus by appointment. This will include prospective students and families. SMWC employees will wear masks when interacting with all guests on campus until otherwise notified.
July 6 -10, 2020
- The College will be closed for summer shutdown, and only essential employees will be on campus during this time.
Beginning July 13, 2020
- Most campus offices and operations will return to normal with regular summer staffing as the College will follow Indiana’s Back on Track Plan* which calls for all restrictions to be lifted by July 4.
- Employees with underlying conditions or special circumstances must provide documentation to the Human Resources Department to seek an extension on their remote work schedule.
- Faculty may return to work as needed.
SMWC COVID-19 Safety Protocols
All employees are asked to follow the SMWC COVID-19 safety protocols once they return to work and until otherwise advised:
- Stay home when sick or having been notified of contact with an individual who tested positive for COVID-19.
- Use proper social distancing and do not congregate in public areas in buildings.
- Wear face masks in public spaces including hallways.
- Employees are allowed to bring their own masks, however, a cloth mask can be provided for you by contacting Josh Wood upon arrival on campus: firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-261-8239.
- Disinfect common or shared equipment such as printers and copiers before and after use.
- Limit sharing of paper documents.
- Limit in-person meetings by utilizing technology.
SMWC will adhere to the protocols and guidance provided by Indiana’s Back on Track Plan.
Required Weekly Employee Self-Screening and Self-Reporting Procedures
All employees will be required to complete the Employee Self-Screening Checklist Form at the start of each week (or following two or more consecutive days of being away from campus) beginning May 26 until further notice.
- The form is to be submitted electronically prior to each employee’s arrival on campus in the morning, or before the start of the work day.
- This screening will ask employees to self-report symptoms, temperature and possible contact with others who may be infected in an effort to bring awareness to the importance of self-monitoring while helping to protect the well-being of the College community.
All employees who exhibit symptoms, have been tested or who believe they have been exposed to the virus are required to complete the COVID-19 Self-Reporting Form.
All personal health information will be confidential and HIPPA compliant.
SMWC’s Commitment to Providing a Safe Environment
The College has made a commitment to providing a safe environment for all staff and faculty through the implementation of the following measures:
- Housekeeping will complete twice daily cleaning of high traffic and high touch areas in all buildings.
- Housekeeping will not be entering or cleaning individual offices or workspaces; employees may request cleaning or trash services if needed.
- Efforts will be made to separate workspaces and employees in order to maintain a safe distance.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be maintained and are clearly marked throughout campus.
- Front doors of buildings will remain locked until July 13 to discourage unscheduled building foot traffic and visitors.