Ways to Give

In making a gift to Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, you join a large, passionate community of individuals who have left their mark on this special place.  In considering your gift to SMWC, consider your family’s needs, your lifestyle and your financial resources along with your commitment to The Woods.  This balance requires thought and careful planning and SMWC’s Advancement staff members are ready to help you and work with your financial advisors to accomplish your goals. In addition, all donors of $25 or more in any category will receive a printed copy of the Onyx magazine.

Thank you for your consideration of gifts to Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.



Outright Gifts

Credit and Debit Cards

You can make a one-time gift online by using our secure server or by calling us at toll free (888) 769-0013 during office hours from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST. SMWC accepts MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover.

SMWC also offers an easy, affordable and automatic Monthly Giving Program. Choose a monthly amount that is comfortable for you and your gift continues to grow each month. For example $10 quickly becomes $120 over 12 months, or $100 becomes $1,200. You can even indicate the time of month you'd like your charge applied ($5 minimum please).

If you sign up for monthly gifts indefinitely, you never have to wonder, "Have I given this year?" You can trust that SMWC is always benefiting from your support. Your enrollment means no more direct mail appeals, no more checks to write, no more envelopes to mail - and your gifts help SMWC all year long.

Electronic Funds Transfers

Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) is a convenient and cost effective way to support Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College without writing a check. With EFT, your donation will be automatically deducted from your checking or savings account.

To make an Electronic Funds Transfer:

Office of Advancement
Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College
1 St Mary of Woods Coll
Saint Mary of the Woods, IN


Make checks payable to Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and mail to:

Office of Advancement

Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College
1 St Mary of Woods Coll
Saint Mary of the Woods, IN  47876-1099

Recognition of Giving

Donations received by the college are kept track of in a secure database that holds all records of individual's donations. From this it is determined which giving level each donor is in. There are named donor recognition levels from $5 to $1,000,000 and over. View recognition levels.

Gifts of Appreciated Securities (Stock)

Appreciated securities include publicly traded or closely held stock and taxable or tax-exempt bonds. Stock gifts to the Woods Fund or restricted funds may be made in any amount and the shares can be delivered to SMWC electronically.  Please contact or have your broker contact Karen Dyer, Vice President for Advancement, related to your decision to give a gift of securities.  Your financial adviser can provide you with information on the charitable income tax deduction related to your gift. The College’s broker information for electronic transfer of gifts of securities is:

First Financial Bank, Terre Haute, IN
Carol Meyers, Trust Officer
(812) 238-6218 or (800) 511-0045 x6218 (toll free)

SMWC DTC # 901
SMWC ACCT # 8429

*It’s very important to include a memo stating from whom (i.e., Jane Doe, Class of 1965) the stock is transferred and that it is for the benefit of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College. Please call our office at 812-535-5101 or email Karen Dyer at kdyer(at)smwc.edu if you would like to provide further instructions regarding how your gift is to be applied.

Deferred Gifts

Deferred gifts will benefit The Woods in the future and frequently enable the donor to make a larger gift than might have been made through outright gifts.  Several different deferred gift options are available.  We look forward to working with you and your financial advisor to determine which is best for your financial and gift situation.

Wills and Bequests

Unrestricted or restricted gifts can be made by including your wishes in the wording of your last will and testament.  Executing a will is neither difficult nor expensive, though you do need to consult with your financial advisor and attorney.  Your bequest can be a stated dollar amount, or you can leave a specific property.  Some prefer to designate a percentage of the estate or of the “residue” (the amount that remains after paying all inheritances, debts and costs).  There are special arrangements by which your bequest can provide financial benefits to your family and later be given to Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College. 

Suggested wording for bequests:

Unrestricted Bequest
“I devise and bequeath to Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana, a gift of (insert amount of cash, percentage of assets or description of property) to be used at the discretion of the Administration and Board of Trustees where needed most.”

Specific Bequest
“I devise and bequeath to the (insert name of program, department, project) of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana, a gift of (insert amount of cash,  percentage of assets or description of property) to be used for the above-listed as the Board of Trustees may designate.”

Residuary Bequest
“I devise and bequeath (insert the word “all” or indicate a percentage) of the rest, residue and remainder of my estate, of whatever kind and wherever situated, to (insert “where needed most” or name of program, department, project) of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana. 

Contingent Bequest
“In the event that the beneficiaries heretofore mentioned (or mentioned in paragraph(s) ____) are not living or for some reason are unable or unwilling to accept my bequest, then I devise and bequeath (his/her/ their) portion to (insert “where needed most” or program, department, project) of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana.

Charitable Gift Annuities

A charitable gift annuity is a simple way to make a gift to SMWC and receive an income stream for life (and possibly the lifetime of a spouse or other individual).  Upon a gift of cash or securities, the donor and SMWC enter into a simple contract that guarantees the payment of a fixed amount for the lifetime of the donor and/or one other person.  The minimum amount to fund a CGA is $10,000. 

Charitable Trusts

A trust is a very flexible way to make a gift to SMWC.  It can provide an income stream to one or more individuals or to SMWC, it can last for a lifetime or a specific period of time and it can contain provisions for the way the gift is to be used.  Trusts can be established with a variety of assets and can provide fixed or variable income for life or a term of years.   Examples include charitable remainder unitrusts, charitable remainder annuity trusts and charitable lead trusts.  Please contact your financial advisor.

Life Insurance

Life insurance policies that are no longer needed for their original purpose can be used to make gifts to The Woods.  Using forms from the insurance company, you can make SMWC the beneficiary of the policy or a percentage of the policy or, if you would prefer to make an irrevocable gift of the policy, you can transfer ownership of the policy to SMWC.  A gift of life insurance can be a way to make a contribution to SMWC with little out-of-pocket expense to the donor.  Contact your insurance agent and financial advisor related to this gift option.

Retirement Plan Gifts

Qualified retirement plans can provide a way to make a gift to SMWC by naming the College as one of the beneficiaries of the retirement plan.  This can result in tax savings to your estate and heirs.  A careful review of your assets and goals with your financial advisor should be made when considering this gift option.   

For more information on one or more deferred gift options, please contact: Karen DyerVice President for Advancement

Matching Gifts

Corporate matching gifts provide an opportunity for you to double or even triple your gift to SMWC. If you or your spouse work for a matching gift company, please request a matching gift form from your company's personnel office and follow the directions to initiate the match. Mail the form to the SMWC Advancement Office and our staff will do the rest. To learn more about matching gifts, and whether your employer offers a program, check out our matching gift finder service.


You may want to give later in the year in monthly or annual installments. The Advancement Office will send you the appropriate pledge reminders according to your preference. Make a pledge by phone by calling (888) 769-0013 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST.

Payroll Deduction

For College Faculty and Staff: Payroll_deduction_form (.doc)


Every gift counts!