Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a program which provides part-time employment opportunities to eligible students to help meet the costs of post secondary education. Based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), eligible students are awarded an allotment which may be earned through part time employment in FWS approved positions either on or off campus.

The program is designed to provide students with an opportunity for employment arranged around class schedules. Students must be enrolled as full-time to be eligible for this program, and apply directly to the employer for the regular FWS positions. If you wish to be considered for this program, you must indicate this preference on the FAFSA.

Community Service Work Study

Community Service is an aspect of the FWS program designed to place students in service oriented positions within the community. These positions are generally off campus and must provide a service to the general community. For example, approved positions would include tutoring in surrounding schools, community recreation programs, and providing assistance through volunteer organizations.

Notification of Qualification

After filing the FAFSA, the Office of Financial Aid will send an award notification to students that have expressed interest in the program. This notification (Award Letter or Shopping Sheet) will describe the types and amounts of awards offered, including FWS. If this notification does not include a FWS award, contact us to see if you are eligible for remaining work study money.

Declining Federal Work Study

If you choose to decline your FWS award, you do not need to repay the college. FWS funds are earned through working during the semester. If no FWS work was completed, no award money will be received.

Should you choose to decline your FWS award, please contact the Office of Financial Aid to inform them (in writing) that you do not wish to participate in the program. This will free up FWS funding so it can be awarded to other students.

Finding FWS positions / jobs

The Federal Work Study Program allows students to find employment in offices on campus – watch for emails and notices at the beginning of the semester to see what positions are available. Alternately, students can work off campus in some community organizations.

In the past, students have worked in such places as the Woods Day Care, the Terre Haute Children's Museum, Ryves Hall, the Clinton Public Library, Providence Self-Sufficient Ministries, Family Services, Big Brother / Big Sister, Covered Bridge Girl Scout Council, Inc., and the Sheldon Swope Art Museum.

Employers list available jobs with Career Services. Students should check this listing and apply directly to the employer.

Receiving FWS funds

Students receive an hourly wage set by the employer (at least minimum wage). Schedules are determined by the student and the employer and timecards are entered by the department twice a month. Students receive a paycheck for hours worked bi-weekly. Paychecks can be picked up at the Business office in Guerin Hall. This money may also be directly deposited into your bank account. You may use the funds as you wish, however, we encourage you to put these funds toward your student bill.