Le Fer Hall

Students who choose a program of college studies they hope will lead to licensure in a profession need information about the program and also about the requirements in the state where they are located or plan to work. Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College is committed to providing accurate information to applicants and students about its offerings; in addition, faculty and staff will assist them in their search for specific requirements in their home state. Professional licensure contacts by state are available here.

State licensure requirements vary; this is one reason the College does not offer all programs in every state. Many states require successfully passing exams or attaining certification from various national professional boards after successfully completing a program. States may also add their own requirements beyond those of national boards. Additionally, state requirements for licensure in a specific occupation or profession often change. 

The following College programs are designed to prepare students for professional licensure. In addition to working with their College academic advisor, out-of-state applicants and students should contact appropriate sources to determine any requirements beyond the board certifications they may earn after completing College programs.

Art Therapy

ProgramOfferedAccreditation/ApprovalUpon completion
Pre-Art Therapy undergraduate degreeUnited StatesAmerican Art Therapy Association.Eligible for graduate programs leading to art therapist credential
Master of Art in Art Therapy (MAAT) with an emphasis in CounselingUnited StatesAmerican Art Therapy Association. Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education ProgramsEligible to apply for provisional registration as an art therapist by the Art Therapy Credentials Board


ProgramOfferedAccreditation/ApprovalUpon completion
Undergraduate degree; post-graduate teacher licensure; Transition to TeachingIndiana, IllinoisCouncil for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation. Approved for teacher training by the Indiana Department of Education, Office of Educator Effectiveness and LicensingEligible to apply for initial teacher licensure in Indiana

Music Therapy

ProgramOfferedAccreditation/ApprovalUpon completion
Undergraduate degree; Music Therapy Equivalency certificate (MTED)United StatesNational Association of Schools of Music. American Music Therapy Association.Eligible for exams by Certification Board for Music Therapists. Passing leads to credential MT-BC
Master of Art in Music Therapy (MAMT)United StatesNational Association of Schools of Music. American Music Therapy Association.(MT-BC required for admission to this program)


ProgramOfferedAccreditation/ApprovalUpon completion
Undergraduate BSN degreeIndiana, IllinoisCommission on College Nursing Education. Indiana State Board of Nursing.Eligible for NCLEX-RN exam of the National Council of State Boards of Nursing; passing leads to licensure
Master of Science in Nursing with Family Nurse Practitioner Concentration; post-master Family Nurse Practitioner certificateIndiana, IllinoisCommission on College Nursing Education. Indiana State Board of Nursing. Designed to meet guidelines of American Association of Colleges in Nursing and the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties.