Le Fer Hall

Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College faculty, staff, and administrators are committed to responding to complaints from our students and applicants in a timely manner and resolving any situations that arise. If you have a complaint, please follow this process to help us resolve your concern as quickly as possible:

1. Communicate directly with the person(s) involved and attempt to find a solution.
2. If a resolution cannot be reached, then file a student complaint. You must provide contact
information so that we can acknowledge and take appropriate action in response to your complaint.

  • If your complaint is with staff or faculty, the complaint will be forwarded to that person’s supervisor or department chair and to the director of the program.
  • If your complaint is with another student, it will be forwarded to student life staff.
  • All other complaints will be resolved with the appropriate supervisor or chairperson.
  • We will acknowledge receiving your complaint within five business days (when the College is in session); you can expect a detailed initial response in two to three weeks.

3. If your complaint remains unresolved, you may appeal to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
4. If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you may contact the College President for a hearing before a special board.

Proceeding through these steps is likely to resolve the problem. If not, you may communicate with the College’s accrediting body, the Higher Learning Commission. You may also follow the complaint process of the Indiana Commission for Higher Education. In addition, you may also use the complaint system in your state of residence, if you live in another state. If you receive military/veteran educational benefits, you may also use military complaint systems. Links are: