Military Education Benefits
Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College is committed to supporting our military personnel. SMWC was one of twenty-one institutions of higher education in Indiana which received grants for the development of support programs and services for student service members and veterans. The grants were awarded through Operation Diploma, an initiative of the Military Family Research Institution through a $5.8 million gift from the Lilly Foundation. In addition, the College has approved several scholarship programs that benefit military personnel as well as their spouses.
Yellow Ribbon Program
If you qualify for the U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs (VA) Yellow Ribbon Program, you may be able to attend SMWC free! SMWC participates in this program for the undergraduate and graduate levels. This is made possible by the passage of the post 9/11 GI Bill. Under this provision, eligible veterans will receive the cost of tuition and fees.
The Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay the veteran the higher of the actual tuition and fees or $19,198.31 per academic year for a private school. SMWC will scholarship the remaining cost of tuition and fees -- completely covering the cost of tuition and fees for the student.
Woods Online Military Tuition Discount Grant (available only to students in the WOL program)
Military students and spouses that are active military members or who have served in the military will receive the discount to offer a special tuition rate of $250 per credit hour. Students must enroll at least half-time, complete the WOL Military Tuition Discount application, provide DD 214 and marriage certificate (if applicable). Cannot be combined with other institutional awards or scholarships.
Military Grant (for Campus and Graduate students only)
SMWC has also extended its support to student military service members who have served on active duty or are currently serving in the reserves, thier spouses and /or dependents. The College’s Military Grant is up to $3,000 (depending on enrollment status). This is applied yearly toward the cost of tuition for all qualifying students who enroll for a minimum of six credit hours per semester. The grant is renewable for six years for part-time students and three years for full-time students while the student maintains satisfactory academic progress and enrolls in at least two semesters each academic year.
- Full-time (12+ credit hours per semester) = $3,000 per year ($1500 per semester)
- Less than full-time (6 -11 credit hours per semester) = $1500 per year ($750 per semester)
- Less than half-time (5 – 1 credit hours per semester) = not eligible
Please provide the Financial Aid Office with the following documents so we can process your grant:
- DD214 or proof of service
- Marriage certificate (if applicable)
VA Benefits Information
SMWC is committed to providing a streamline process to certify eligible students for their VA benefits. Listed below are the document required for us to process your certification.
- Military Discount for Woods Online Students
- VA Form 22-1995 Request for Change o Program or Place of Training
- VA Form 22-5495 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training for Survivor's and Dependent's Educational Assistance
- VA Educational Benefits Worksheet (see Forms & Resources, Miscellaneous)
- Certificate of Eligibility or NOBE
- VA Certification Form (This is required to be completed each semester. Your benefits will not be certified until we receive this form for each period of enrollment.)(PDF)
- VA Certification Form (Online Form)
If you need to request a DD214 or certificate of eligibility, or have questions regarding your benefits, please call the VA at 800-827-1000.